Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Buddhism can't be as bad as...

I think it's important to start by saying that I've been meditating for 10 or 12 years, every single morning. It's also important to note that I am fascinated by the discoveries being made about the mental powers of Buddhist monks. (For example, see Sharon Begley's fine book, Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain).

If you mention the Dalai Lama's name to me, or Buddhism in general, I generally react very positively. This makes it all the more difficult to confront what I'm feeling about the new documentary "Unmistaken Child." What I am about to write might make a lot of people mad. Before you get mad, see this movie. It's by young Israeli director Nati Baratz, who had extraordinary access as he filmed for five and a half years (taking 200 hours of film).

This real-time documentary follows a Buddhist monk's search for a reincarnated form of his master, Lama Konchog, who spent 26 years in isolated meditation in a mountain cave. Apparently, Lama Konchog was regarded as one of the greatest Tibetan Masters of our times. More>>

No comments: