Friday, February 19, 2010

Buddhist Tiger Woods Apologizes


Million-dollar PR: Tiger Woods appears in a tightly controlled and crafted "press conference," reading a statement, taking no questions, and hugging his mom.

"I recognize I have brought this on myself. And I know above all I am the one who needs to change. I owe it to my family to become a better person. I owe it to those closest to me to become a better man. That is where my focus will be. I have a lot of work to do. And I intend to dedicate myself to doing it.

"Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my [Thai] mother taught me at a young age. People probably don't realize it, but I was raised a [Theravada] Buddhist. And I actively practiced my faith from childhood, until I drifted away from it in recent years.

"Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously, I lost track of what I was taught...."

Tiger Woods seen with his father (deceased), who taught him the game.

No comments: