Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blue Moon Lunar Observance (Uposatha)



Strange story behind Sunday's "blue" moon
November's full moon may look ordinary, but a bizarre old rule makes it extremely rare. And it explains why 13 is unlucky. Blue moon myths - Dazzling space views - 2nd-fastest spinning rock

What does one observe on lunar days?
These are the observances of lay Buddhist practitioners during periods of intensive meditation training and during Uposatha (lunar observance) days. The Eight Precepts are based on the Five Precepts, with the third precept extended to sublimate sexual activity and an additional three precepts that help support meditation practice.

The Eight Precepts

  1. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living beings.
  2. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking what is not given.
  3. I undertake the precept to refrain from all sexual activity.
  4. I undertake the precept to refrain from false speech.
  5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicants that lead to carelessness.
  6. I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at improper times.
  7. I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, unsuitable entertainment, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
  8. I undertake the precept to refrain from using high or luxurious seats and beds.

More>>

No comments: