|Mexico's Pyramid of the Sun is small compared to world's largest: Mexico's Cholula Pyramid|
Mexican meditation figurine: shaft tomb figurine from Jalisco, Mexico, in the Ameca-style, dated by the Art Institute from AD 100-800, height: 22 in or 56 cm ( ).
|How the Swans Came to the Lake (Rick Fields)|
|How Buddhism was brought to America|
The original language of Buddhism's "Threefold Collection" (Tri-pitaka) of sacred texts was either Pali or Sanskrit.
Pali was the common language spoken in the region of north and northwestern "India" (Bharat) -- or at least Magadhi from the Kingdom of Magadha -- at the time of the Buddha, whereas Sanskrit was the liturgical language of arrogant upper-caste, temple-bound Brahmin priests loyal to the ancient Vedic texts, which the Buddha rejected in favor of shamanic direct experience (as part of the shramana or "wandering ascetic" movement, which is the source of our English word "shaman"). More
|Reconstruction of excavated shaft tomb Museo Nacional de Antropologia e Historia ()|
|A fraction of staircase on one side of Mexico's Great Pyramid of Cholula has been restored|
|Mexico has wealth beyond measure (Pena Nieto)|
|Mexico is full of amazing treasures!|
The International Council of Museum (ICOM) estimates that 90% of the clay figurines come from illegal excavations.
|Underwater cave archeology of Mexico|
- See Townsend, Richard (1998) Ancient West Mexico: Art and Archaeology of the Unknown Past (Thames & Hudson). Also, in the fourth edition of his Mexico: from the Olmecs to the Aztecs, Michael Coe talks about "our abysmal ignorance of the prehistory of the area," p. 56.
|World's biggest pyramid hidden by Catholics|
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Mesoamerican Cultures says, for example, that "At no time in the pre-Hispanic era did any political or cultural entity impose itself on the whole region, even though certain cultural patterns (such as the building of shaft-and-chamber tombs) have in fact been widely diffused" (Michelet, p. 328). Beekman (2000, p. 393) makes the same argument.
|The world's largest pyramid, hidden by Catholics, is in Cholula, Mexico (Getty Images)|
Pre-Hispanic West México: Mesoamerica
*Eduardo Williams (FAMSI.org), The Classic Period (circa A.D. 300-900)
|The location of Cholula (red) south of USA|
Recent research, however, is slowly shedding more light on this area's cultural developments during the Classic Period.
Among recent projects is the excavation of the sites known as Las Lomas ["The Hills"] in the marshland and lake area around Zacapu, Michoacán (Figures 15, 16, and 17).
|US news: border-crossing cave system|
The abundance of funerary evidence in the area has led some scholars to believe that the populations that lived here reserved the Las Lomas sites for funerary purposes and other ritual activities, although it is possible that the people who went there to honor the dead would have also taken advantage of the plentiful lake and marsh resources (Arnauld et al. 1993:208; Carot 1994). More
|Chocolate (Theobroma cacao), the "Food of the devas/gods" grows on trees in Mexico.|
- Aztalan State Park is a Wisconsin state park in the Town of Aztalan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin at latitude N 43° 4' and longitude W 88° 52'.
- Friends of Aztalan State Park
- Aztalan State Park (Wikipedia)
- Aztalan State Park - Wisconsin DNR
- Lake Mills Aztalan Museum - OrgSites.com
- Mississippian Culture and Aztalan: Turning Points in Wisconsin...
- May Day 2017: How did May Day become a day for immigrant rights?